Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Singapore's Best Ramen, Men-Tei Ramen

It started with Pi (a.k.a. 3.141592654) who asked if I wanted to have lunch somewhere else other than the hawker centers we have gone accustomed to. I already had an answer before she asked and she already had a place in mind before asking. So we marched towards Robinson Road past the DBS towers and the Afro-Asia building. Along the way she warned me that the cost of the food would be higher than the usual hawker center budget but she also assured me that it was well worth it.

There were about five people ahead of the queue when we got there. There was a marker to show people where to line up and to make sure they didn't get in the way of passersby. It turns out people start queuing as early as 12:00 so it would be wise to either be there for an early lunch at 11:30 a.m. or have a heavy breakfast and be there by 1 p.m. At a few minutes before one o'clock, our timing was just right.

That day on my first try at the noodle hut, I had the Miso. My initial taste of the rich and creamy soup was enough to convince me that my $13 was well spent. I made sure that my next spoonfuls stayed in my mouth long enough for my tongue to savor the wonderful flavor before swallowing. The noodle was another delightful experience; it must be the potent combination of the unique taste and the right texture. Surely, the posters citing the preparations their food underwent were not just for show.

How could I not trust Pi's judgment when it comes to food after that? Not only was her choice a good respite from the all too familiar taste we had enough of, it was such a wonderful treat to the palate as well. And for those who like bonuses: the bottomless green tea and the good service provided by the staff ensure you find the whole dining experience enjoyable.

It was my turn to bring a friend there a few days after that. The Tonkotsu was also remarkable -- different taste, same delight. Since then, I have been to Men-Tei Ramen several times and the Miso and the Tonkotsu remain my favorites.

And yes, after having tried several other Ramen houses, I make the bold statement that Men-Tei Ramen serves the best in town.

Located at 61 Robinson Road (see map below), Men-Tei Ramen is open from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. from Mondays through Fridays. Here's their website: http://www.men-tei.com

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At July 27, 2008 at 11:42 PM , Blogger cynic said...

ah, men tei... i have the good fortune of working at the building just opposite so we go there every once in a while whenever we have ramen cravings. good stuff, i agree!

 
At July 28, 2008 at 10:03 PM , Blogger Singapore Fountain Pen said...

hi cynic,

thanks! as luck would have it, i'm now stationed in bukit merah for a 6-month project. but i'm sure i'll come up with a very good reason to go robinson road again one of these days -- definitely towards midday. anyway, the search goes on for good food...

ciao!

 
At July 29, 2008 at 12:02 AM , Blogger cynic said...

there's plenty of good food in bukit merah too, although i can't remember what exactly off the top of my head.

google would be able to help you out i'm sure!

 
At July 31, 2008 at 11:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure Men-Tei is nice, but I'm sorry, the best ramen in Singapore is undoubtedly Miharu at Gallery Hotel.

http://www.galleryhotel.com.sg/html/indulge_sapporo.html

Encourage you to check it out if you haven't yet. :)

 
At July 31, 2008 at 11:54 PM , Blogger Singapore Fountain Pen said...

hi id! thanks for taking time to share this. i must confess i haven't been to this place. but we will definitely go to 1 nanson road to give it a try as we are always on the lookout for good food. cheers!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home