Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Singapore 360 - Day 36: United Colors of HDBs (A Change In Perspective)

It still amazes me how a change in perspective alters the way we see things. There was a time when I expressed my opinion that it would make HDBs look neater and maybe a bit more sophisticated if they were painted mostly white, or at least a lighter shade. I imagined the entire of Singapore having rows and rows of white buildings where people lived in. When I finally listened to what I was saying, I wanted to smack myself in the head.

I see two ironies in this. First, a lot of people already say that Singapore is boring. Just do a Google search on "Singapore is boring" and you'll see what I mean. Bringing my stupid idea into light, not that it would even be considered, doesn't exactly help disprove this notion.

Second, for most part of my life, at least up to the present, I have never been one to live inside an ordinary and dull white box. I realize now that choice had a lot to do with it but I will not deny that in the past, especially during the dark moments, that I was plagued with the victim mindset. What lead me away from the victim mentality? A change of perspective of course. And a decision to live under bright light.

Living outside a boring white box means life being an adventure, taking risks, learning new things and setting up one's self where a thing or two eventually goes wrong. It is a life filled with colors, one that requires a person to see things not in black and white but in the full spectrum of light. But it is also a life where things don't always go as planned and therefore one filled with tears, hope, laughter and disappointment. But isn't that what life is all about?

It's true, a change of perspective can shed new light and bring fresh color to an otherwise dull and boring view. Perhaps it's time to tilt those lenses?

***

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At June 4, 2010 at 6:34 PM , Anonymous New Morden world – A Travel Blog said...

Really, I love Singapore.I wish i visit Singapore in December.
The photography of this site is Excellent.

 
At June 4, 2010 at 6:38 PM , Anonymous New Morden world – A Travel Blog said...

Hi.....
The Singapore Fountain Pen very interesting blog for tourist as well also useful to give tips for travels.

 
At June 10, 2010 at 6:48 PM , Anonymous New Morden world – A Travel Blog said...

Singapore is very interesting & entertaining city.Singapore Fountains also nice blog.

 
At August 7, 2010 at 10:22 AM , Blogger * Michael * said...

Yes, National Day is coming. Wishing you an enjoyable National Day too!


There are some places and things to do during this long 3day weekend:

http://www.singaporeplayground.com/2010/08/where-to-go-this-weekend-7-august-2010.html

Dun miss the magnificent firework display:

http://www.singaporeplayground.com/2010/08/best-places-to-see-national-day.html

And the National Day Parade:

http://www.singaporeplayground.com/2010/08/national-day-parade-ndp-2010.html

 
At October 6, 2010 at 4:51 PM , Blogger Kitchen Boffin said...

nice snaps..

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home