Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Asia 360 - Bali Coffee

I haven't had coffee for four days now. For someone who once had up to seven cups a day, that's an accomplishment, or a deprivation. It really depends on how you look at it.

Anyway, these photos were taken in Bali, Indonesia. We hired a driver to take us around Bali and he suggested we dropped by the "place where they make coffee". How could I object?

He took us to the quarters of Bas Coffee in Kintmani, a mountain region in the north where the cool climate and the rich, volcanic soil make it conducive to grow Arabica coffee trees. We learned that Kintamanai coffee, plucked from the cliff plantations of Mt. Batur, is the best there is in Bali.

(Note: I don't know who these people are in the pic above, they just happened to be there when I took the shot)

I ended up buying a few kilos of coffee beans, one pack from which remains untouched today. They can only produce so much in a year so if you're a coffee lover and you go to Bali, do visit Kintamani and buy. You're in for a treat! Kintamani is along the way to Mt. Batur anyway, which you are not unlikely to visit.

I'm not really sure how long I can keep this up — abstaining from coffee I mean. There's just nothing like the aroma of freshly brewed coffee. If you're having one sometime in the near future, do me a favor and savor the aroma while you're at it.

***

Here's an interesting page I found on the Net:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/coffee.indonesia.bali.php

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At August 11, 2009 at 5:01 AM , Blogger Brad Farless said...

I'm a big coffee drinker, but somehow I've also been cutting back lately. Not for any particular reason, just stopped drinking as much.

This stuff looks pretty good though! I'll have to check it out if we get over to Bali.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home