Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Singapore 360 - Day 6: Shu Teppan D.I.Y. Teppanyaki

Shu Teppan Do It Yourself Teppanyaki is one of the restaurants in the newly opened ION mall in Orchard.

One Saturday noon, feeling hungry, but not too much to be unadventurous, we decided to give this Japanese dining place a try.

I ordered Wagyu beef, thinking no one could possibly make a mistake with Wagyu beef, unless of course it was fake. My companion went for something else, the name escapes me now, for it was the wrong dish that made it to her iron plate anyway.

And if you're curious where Teppanyaki got its name from, here's a bit of info from from Wikipedia:
Teppanyaki (鉄板焼き teppan'yaki?) is a style of Japanese cuisine that uses an iron griddle to cook food. The word "teppanyaki" is derived from teppan (鉄板), which means iron plate, and yaki (焼き), which means grilled, broiled or pan-fried. In Japan, teppanyaki refers to dishes cooked using a iron plate, including steak, shrimp, okonomiyaki, yakisoba, and monjayaki.
How was the food, you ask? I was right about the Wagyu beef, it was perfectly fine. As for the thingamajig my companion got... Oh well, better luck next time! She wasn't too happy with it. I tasted it and I immediately understood why. She did enjoy her Japanese soda though.

But are we coming back? Hard to say. It's good enough to try at least once for the experience, the do-it-yourself kinda experience. If you want to try, I would of course suggest you go for the Wagyu beef first. Or at least make sure it's among your orders. If it's fun you're after, nothing beats watching Teppanyaki Chefs in action.

Speaking of which, you might like to watch this "Amazing Chef" do his tricks, while preparing Teppanyaki, something I found in the World Wide Web:



***

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At August 12, 2009 at 4:44 AM , Blogger Brad Farless said...

I'm only a fan of these do-it-yourself type places if my wife is with me and I let her pick the ingredients. Otherwise I mess it up. Funny you should write about this. There's a blog I recently came across called "An American Girl in Singapore" where she was talking about a disastrous experience where her and her husband (both American) messed up a soup at a steamboat type place.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home