Saturday, September 12, 2009

Singapore 360 - Day 16: Airplane Watching, Watching Airplanes


One lazy Sunday afternoon after a fairly wild morning spent running towards a prison instead of away from it (more on this later), we spent a few hours on a nice couch chatting while watching airplanes.


From where we sat we could watch planes land and taxi on the runway over and over again. It would have been great if we had only to turn our heads and watch other planes take off. Unfortunately that wasn't the case, but we were glad we got the chance to do what we did, grateful even that we had the luxury of time not to do anything productive if only for a short time.



I learned to anticipate the white smoke produced shortly after the plane's wheels touch ground. I couldn't get the perfect shot I wanted so after several tries I gave up and simply enjoyed the view. Why it didn't occur to me to take a video then beats me.

Of course there were other things to see, such as people getting on and off the planes and luggage being loaded and unloaded. But nothing topped watching planes touch down. It's one of those simple joys akin to watching how the creamer slowly melts in a cup of coffee.

The only thing missing from our experience was the sound. We were behind thick panels of glass the entire time. Well, the words exchanged more than made up for that — it was a good time to trade stories.

I recommend doing something similar to anyone who hasn't tried. Imagine sitting on a comfortable couch with a freshly brewed coffee to go along. It's one good way to relax the mind and prepare for the full week ahead.




***

Here's a nice song entitled Watching Airplanes by Garry Allan from YouTube. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At September 14, 2009 at 4:51 AM , Blogger Brad Farless said...

I've never had the opportunity to sit and watch airplanes take off and land, except when I was at the airport waiting on my own flight, and here lately I prefer to window shop or use the internet if it's available.

I wonder where you were sitting to have such a great view? I bet you were wishing you had a DSLR on-hand to get that perfect smoke shot.

Speaking of photos though, isn't it sort of a "no-no" nowadays to take photos at an airport?

 
At September 18, 2009 at 3:02 PM , Blogger Singapore Fountain Pen said...

Hey Brad! We were at one of the rooms in Crowne Plaza, with the terminal 3 landing strip as the main view. I had a DSLR on hand but it was very difficult to work out the angle with the toughened glass between me and the subject.

Hmmm.. I wasn't aware taking photos at an airport is being discouraged. Something to do with counter-terrorism measures perhaps? Now that you've mentioned it, I recall taking several photos of Terminal 3 last years and posting them here.

 
At September 19, 2009 at 12:51 AM , Blogger Brad Farless said...

Well, maybe not here. In the US it's against the law to take photos in the airports. There are signs up. I've even been warned by security before when just trying to take photos of my brother in LaGuardia (NYC) when he was flying back to Georgia.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home